9 Habits of Highly Effective Alkalizers
1. Start the day with an alkaline tilt
An alkaline-forming seed or grain (quinoa, wild rice, oats) with fruit
Eggs with steamed greens
Lentil vegetable soup
Ginger tea or hot lemon/lime water tea
2. Consume two cups of vegetables for lunch and two cups for dinner
1 to 2 different alkaline-forming veggies with olive oil dressing
A veggie steamer with a timer does all the work
Vegetable-laden soups in the winter and lush salads in the summer
3. Replace most grains with root crops and gourds
Every day use of roots such as sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, beet, white and red potatoes, daikon, etc.
Squash of all sorts provides an alkalizing carbohydrate
Baking yams, sweet potatoes and squash enhances their rich, sweet taste
4. Enjoy nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices daily
- Pumpkin seeds, cashews, chestnuts, sesame seeds, and almonds are among the best
Most all spices are alkaline forming and high in antioxidants and add zest to the meal
Liberal use of onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and all cooking herbs
5. Incorporate alkalizing drinks daily
Juice of a lemon or lime in hot or cold water
Mineral water with high dissolved solids and spring water as a second option
Green tea, ginger tea, kambucha, and apple cider vinegar tea
“Green” vegetable juices and smoothies
Homemade vegetable broth
6. Limit sweeteners and use them in small quantities in alkalizing forms
Sucanat, rice syrup, molasses, and agave are good choices
Baked and dried fruit used to tame the sweet tooth
7. Monitor your acid load and adjust your program as necessary
Strive for a 6.5 to 7.5 first-morning urine pH (best is urine tested after 6 hours or more of uninterrupted sleep)
The Alkaline for Life® pH Test Kit provides all the materials and knowledge you need for testing your pH and developing a full Alkaline for Life® diet
8. Adjust your diet as necessary
The goal is to build alkaline mineral compound reserves
In good health, a diet containing 60% alkaline-forming foods and 40% acid forming is often appropriate
When recovering or regaining health, the diet must often be 80% alkaline-forming foods and only 20% acid forming in order to build alkaline reserves
9.Use alkalizing supplements as necessary
High quality alkalizing mineral compounds are used when diet alone is not enough to alkalize such as our builder found in our shop
Correctly collected urine pH provides an indirect measure of mineral reserves, thus a first-morning urine pH below 6.5 suggests mineral inadequacy
To be alkaline forming, minerals must be attached to alkalizing anions such as citrates, ascorbates, carbonates, hydroxides, glycinates, malates and fumarates
- Gina Galli
Alkalizers Live Longer!
You have probably long known that an alkaline diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, pulses, and seeds is good for you. Now a large scientific Swedish study has confirmed the obvious.
In this large study more than 71,000 older men and women were observed for a period of 13 years. Their fruit and vegetable intake was correlated with the likelihood of death. The researchers found:
- Those who never consumed fruits or vegetables lived three years less and had a 53% higher mortality rate than those who consumed five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- Those who never consumed fruit lived 19 months shorter than those who ate one fruit per day.
- Those who never consumed vegetables lived 32 months less than those who ate 3 servings of vegetables each day.
- Those who consumed 5 servings of fruits and vegetables lived 3 years longer.
- Benefits of eating fruit were observed at just one fruit a day.
- Benefits of vegetable consumption were observed at 3 servings per day.
So, if it is one of your goals to live longer (not just 3 years, but 10 or 15 years longer) here are a few Alkaline for Life® tips:
- Happily ingest 2 cups of veggies for lunch and 2 for dinner (in the winter you will find hot and cooked veggies most warming and easy to digest).
- Blended "green drinks" offer those on the go a quick way to get their servings of vegetables (you can add hot water to warm the drink if you like). Here's a link to a low-fruit green drink recipe with video.
- Have a handful of pumpkin seeds as a mid-afternoon snack—they are highly alkalizing. Toasted sesame seeds are especially tasty too.
- Expand you personal alkaline recipe data bank by trying one new recipe each week. We post new recipes in our N.E.A.T. Recipe Forum regularly or you can pick your own new favorite from our Amazing Acid Alkaline Cookbook.
Bellavia, A., S. C. Larsson, M. Bottai, A. Wolk, and N. Orsini. 2013. Fruit and vegetable consumption and all-cause mortality: a dose-response analysis. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 98:454–459.
- Gina Galli
Alkalizing Builds Bones: New European Study
This landmark Swiss study verifies that neutralizing your net acid load through diet and supplements — or “alkalizing” — builds bone and reduces fracture risk among healthy adults, aged 65+.
In this two-year study participants were supplemented with a high-dose of potassium citrate given along with their regular diet. In this way, subjects consumed the recommended potassium intake of 4,500 mg/day.
By end of the study, subjects taking the potassium citrate had an increase in their bone density. In addition, they experienced a strengthening of bone micro architecture.
Furthermore, researchers were able to project a reduction in the rate of subsequent fractures through this neutralization of net acid load.
What this study means to us:
Most of us need to increase our potassium intake. Strive for 13 ½-cup servings of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds a day, as recommended in The Alkaline for Life® Diet.
You may also want to use some supplemental potassium citrate instead of high-dose potassium citrate at some point, but before this consider taking a broad spectrum alkalizing mineral supplement. For guidelines on appropriate mineral supplementation refer to our 20 key nutrients table.
Alkalizing builds bone. Test your alkaline balance by using our simple pH testing system with the Alkaline for Life pH Test Kit.
- Susan Brown