Now more than ever is the time to boost your health IQ and bolster your immune defenses. As a clinical nutritionist and medical anthropologist who has focused on health maximization for decades, I offered in a previous blog my nutrient supplement protocol for supporting immunity in today's environment. To make this a bit more personal, I am here suggesting six at-home tests you can try and I am summarizing the six nutrient supplements that can aid you in sidestepping a likely COVID resurge.
6 At-Home Tests
Test #1 — Test your vitamin C adequacy
- A simple urine dip stick test assessment. This dip stick method quantifies the relative amount of vitamin C in your urine. The goal is to take enough vitamin C throughout the day to ensure a constant tissue availability of this nutrient. A relatively high amount of vitamin C in the urine suggests at least minimal sufficiency available to the cells.
Test #2 — Search in your area to see if there are any health professionals currently offering Intravenous Vitamin C (IV-C)
- This is handy should you want to supercharge your immunity. IV-C is 10 times more potent than taking vitamin C orally and is very helpful if you need to boost immunity quickly.
Test #3 — Test your vitamin D level
- Your vitamin D blood level should ideally be 50 to 70 ng/mL. We now offer a simple at-home blood spot vitamin D test or a self-order blood test for vitamin D .
Test #4 — Test your zinc sufficiency
- Zinc is a potent anti-oxidant, anti-viral nutrient which most of us under consume. A simple at-home taste test can reveal your zinc status.
Test #5 — Test your acid-alkaline balance
- A simple test of first-morning urine. This test will show how well you are alkalizing your bio-chemistry. Any pH reading below 6.5 suggests inadequate mineral reserves, particularly of magnesium. Corona viruses and most pathogens thrive an acidic cellular environment.
Test #6 — Signs-and-symptoms nutrient checklist
- The nutrition detective. Answering these simple questions reveals likely nutrient inadequacies. The presence of any of these signs and symptoms suggests the daily need for a professional grade, broad spectrum multi-vitamin/mineral formula.
6 Key Nutrients to Remember
#3. Quercetin Flavonoid/Flavonol Combination. Daily dose of 500 to 4,000 mg.
#4. Zinc. At least 20 to 30 mg daily.
#5. Selenium. 150 to 250 mg daily.
#6. Magnesium. 400 to 1,000 mg daily.
. . . And DON’T FORGET A GOOD MULTI — a pharmaceutical grade, broad spectrum multi-vitamin/mineral.
For details on why and how to use this immune support, see our Nutrient Supplements to Support Immunity in Today’s Environment.